Friday, August 23, 2013

Practice Blog Post

Hello! My name is Linda Check. I am twenty-one years old. I live in Theodore, AL with my younger brother and my dad. I was born in Pensacola, FL, but my dad was offered a job as a police officer in Mobile when I was six years old and we moved. I attended Theodore High School and graduated in 2010. I was so lucky to have received the Joseph Treadwell Foundation scholarship for the University of South Alabama and that is what made my decision easy in picking a college! This last year was my first year at Camp SMILE. We were asked what our passion was and this is mine. Volunteering at Camp SMILE changed my life for the better. The campers had such an impact on my life and they made it so that I knew my switch in majors was the right decision.
Image of me and a few kids from Camp SMILE
I switched my major to K-6 Elementary Collaborative, but I was not sure whether I wanted to be a kindergarten or special education teacher, now the choice is obvious! Special education is such a diverse field and working with kids with special needs, I feel, is what I am meant to do. I feel that I am very good at taking care of others, but I would like to better my skills at helping people with special needs. This last summer was my first real time ever working with people with special needs, and it made me realize how little I know about different kind of diseases that affect people every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment